In both the early and in the later stages of your career,
it may be hard to find work as an actor. I hope the following tips help
you succeed at your next audition.
· Arrive about 15 minutes early. You never know what kind of
trouble (traffic, etc.) you may run into. Being early will also give
you time to warm up.
· Pack your bag with a book and a bottle of water. There may
be waiting, and just sitting there, maybe getting thirsty, is not going
to help you.
· Be nice to everyone there. You might not realize whether the
person you are speaking to may be influential in the casting process.
· Do not be intimidated by the other people there. No matter
how many there are, they are competing for the same job. Keep up your
· Wear comfortable clothes, you should look neat, but not too
fancied up. Make sure you can move around the room without being limited
by a coat and tie or fancy dress.
· Do not wear a costume. Your outfit can suggest the character
such as a high-collar blouse for a period piece, but don't get all dressed
· Do not wear too much cologne or perfume
· Find background information on the company you are auditioning
for—be familiar with their work. This will help you find a monologue
to audition with.
· If you are auditioning for a musical, bring clean copies of
your music for the accompanist. You want the pages to be free of stray
marks and coffee stains.
· Make sure your resume is firmly attached to your headshot.
If possible, photocopy or print your resume to the back of the headshot—never
staple! Headshots with staples can get tangled in a pile. One page is
· Make sure that the headshot/resume you bring along is no larger
than 8 1/2" by 11". This will fit into a folder.
· Remember to smile. If you are nervous, take a deep breath
and try to relax. Recognize that you are not going to get every job
you audition for, but can learn from every experience.
· Definitely do not ask if you will get a callback. And if you
do get called back, wear the same outfit as during your audition. It
will help them remember you.
So remember these tips, relax, and go out there and get some work!